Wednesday, March 6, 2013

SOME THOUGHTS ON SHARING

This weekend's project was very satisfying, by the middle of the day on Monday, I'd transformed some furniture that was no longer useful, gotten rid of items that were just taking up room, and had given my son a new place to do his art. And at the same time, and at minimal to almost no cost, upgraded my daughter's room to be more useful for her needs as a second grader. In order to accomplish all of this though, I had to be able to move things out in a prompt way. Now, some people don't see this as an obstacle, as they simply move things into the trash room or out to the curb, adding to the general waste, clogging the landfills of the world, and perpetuating needless spending. With a little planning ahead, I was able to do this whole project without throwing away a single thing. In addition, other people were able to procure what they needed at no or low cost. It's a cycle in which I love to participate, and my hope is that I can encourage everyone I know to take the time to share their unused and excess goods, rather than tossing and buying new, whenever possible

As I've mentioned before, there are numerous ways to do this. You can post your item for sale (if allowed) on neighborhood and school lists, you can offer it for free or for sale on Craigslist, or you can join your closest Freecycle network (Yahoo group) and offer your item/s to the people in your surrounding area for free. There are MANY many people on a Freecycle network who will be glad to come get your stuff, and sincerely grateful to have it. You will have to devote some effort if this is the way you want to do it, but it's well worth the satisfaction of knowing you've done your part to keep something out of the trash as well as (in many cases) helping out someone who may truly need what you no longer have any use for. In today's economy, most of us have to be more careful with our spending - I know I do - and everything you don't have to buy helps out in the end. 

This week I was lucky enough to become aware of yet another terrific resource for re-homing our no-longer-used items. There's a new website called Yerdle.com, they are based out of San Fransisco, but currently getting some traction in New York. This is a mission-based organization, with the objective of helping people share and loan within their social circle and network, based on their Facebook community and generally promoting a new ideal of sharing instead of buying.  Members of Yerdle will be able to post items that they want to give, get or loan out - the postings will be visible to their social network specifically, allowing them to share their stuff rather than dispose of it, but without the potential discomfort of having to make arrangements with strangers. Perhaps you want to give away that 'heirloom' that has no use to you, but just can't bear to let it go to a stranger? Maybe you would feel more comfortable if it turned out that your friend wants it? Perhaps you really want to ditch that table, but are worried about letting someone into your home to carry it out? Yerdle provides a platform, (using your FB contacts as the contact circle), in which to do this sharing but within the comfort zone of people you actually know. I think this could be the beginning of a great new start for me! In the past I've gone straight to other outlets, but if I can encourage enough of my FB friends to participate with Yerdle, I think it could become a very healthy habit for all of us. 

I listed a lamp! Do you want it? I listed a game! Do you want it?

If you are my FB friend, check it out and join Yerdle to pick it up. 

Http://www.yerdle.com 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Great article wendy, thanks for helping spread the word about yerdle!

    ReplyDelete